UDC 930.85 : 130.2
B. E. Nosenok,
1st year Ph. D. student,
Faculty of Philosophy, Branch of Culturology,
Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv,
60, Volodymyrska Street, Kyiv, 01033, Ukraine
CULTURE-BASED STUDIES’ TOPOGRAPHY IN THE MODERN FRENCH SOCIAL SCIENCE
Cultural studies as a humanities researcher takes the place of an expert. The relevance of this topic is due to the lack of development of the issues of “culture-based studies” in Ukrainian culturology. There is a lack of translated into French or Ukrainian languages of French sources published since 1975. French culturological science, which developed after 1975, is almost not represented in Ukrainian culturology. The present stage of the development of French historiography, which lies at the heart of cultural history, and cultural studies, is associated with increased attention to social knowledge. This stage is characterized by the deployment of a “critical turn”, which proceeds from the following principles: the interdisciplinary approach, the significance of cultural expertise, the severity of publications and the multiplicity of their forms, multidisciplinarity. The “critical turn” affects the following spheres of knowledge: la Culturologie, les Études culturelles, les Sciences de la Culture. The article substantiates the relevance of the use of the concept of “culture-based studies” to the definition of processes that are unfolding within the framework of French humanities and are associated exclusively with the theoretical formations in the context of the social sciences. The purpose of the article is to outline a map of culture-based studies in the field of French humanitaristics. The methodology of the article is based on the application of interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary approaches to research in the field of culturology. Also, methodological developments in the field of “critical turn” and the achievements of the sociological circle and the interdisciplinary discussion club “Eranos” were applied. The scientific novelty of the article is to substantiate the appropriateness of the use of the concept of “culture-based studies” on the definition of processes that are unfolding within the framework of French humanitaristics and relate exclusively to theoretical formations in the context of social sciences. This concept to the field of Ukrainian culturology is introduced for the first time. Also, for the first time, the place and forms of culturology in French humanities were clarified. Conclusions. Working with a source base and methodology is one of the points that are compulsory on the way to the solution of the tasks, the main of which is the formation of the body of fundamental works for French history (including the history of culture) and historiography of the period since 1975 year to the present day. On the basis of this building, there is the prospect of building an alternative national cultural history project addressed to the vector of the French historiographical, historical-anthropological and cultural-related issues in the field of social knowledge. The article presents the arguments why it is appropriate to use the concept of “culture-based studies” in the context of conducting research in relation to French humanitaristics, in particular, the modern period of its development.
Key words: “culture-based studies”, history of culture, “critical turn”, “new history”, interdisciplinarity, social knowledge, “cultural history”.
1. Berk, P. (2015). What is the cultural history? Moscow, Izdatel’sky dom Vysshey shkoly ekonomiki (In Russian).
2. Virilio, P. (2004). The Vision Machine. Sankt-Peterburg, Nauka (In Russian).
3. Voskoboynikov, O. S. (2013). O svoyem uchitele. Zhan-Klod Shmitt: Chetvertoye pokoleniye shkoly “Annalov” [About my teacher. Jean-Claude Schmitt: The fourth generation of the Annales School]. Moscow, Izdatel’sky dom Vysshey shkoly ekonomiki.
4. Duby, G. (1991). The development of historical research in France after 1950. In Odissey. Chelovek v istorii. Moscow, Nauka, 48–59 (In Russian).
5. Zashkil’nyak, L. (1999). Metodolohiya istoriyi: vid davnyny do suchasnosti [Methodology of history: from antiquity to nowadays]. L’viv: L’vivsʹkyy natsional’nyy universytet imeni I. Franka.
6. Ivashina, O. O. (2008). Zagal’na teoriya kul’tury [General theory of culture]. Kyiv, Vydavnychy dim “Kyevo-Mogylyans’ka akademiya”.
7. Mogil’nitskiy, B. G. (2004). Istoriya na perelome: nekotoryye tendentsii razvitiya sovremennoy istoricheskoy mysli [History on the fracture: some tendencies in the development of modern historical thought]. Mezhdistsiplinarnyy sintez v istorii i sotsial’nyye teorii: teoriya, istoriografiya i praktika konkretnykh issledovaniy. Moscow, IVI RAN, 5–22.
8. Olabarri, I. (2004). "Novaja" novaja istorija: struktura bol'shoj dlitel'nosti “New” new story: a structure of great duration. Oykumena. Al’manakh sravnitel’nykh issledovaniy politicheskikh institutov, sotsial’noekonomicheskikh sistem i tsivilizatsiy. Khar’kov: Konstanta, 2, 176–207.
9. Revel, J. Microhistorical analysis and construction of social. Retrieved from http://krotov.info/libr_min/17_r/ev/vel.html.
10. Trubnikova, N. V. (2016). Frantsuzskaya istoricheskaya shkola “Annalov” [French Historical Annales School]. Moscow, Kvadriga.
11. Anheim, É. (2012). L’historiographie est-elle une forme d’histoire intellectuelle? La controverse de 1934 entre Lucien Febvre et Henri Jassemin. Revue d’histoire moderne & contemporaine, 59-4bis, 105–130. Retrieved from https://www.cairn.info/revue-d-histoire-moderne-et-contemporaine-2012-5-page-105.htm.
12. Annales. Histoire, Sciences Sociales (Annales HSS). Retrieved from http://annales.ehess.fr/.
13. Dufays, J.-M. L’histoire de l’historiographie moderne activites internationales et tendances recentes de la recherche (1970–1984). Retrieved from https://www.journalbelgianhistory.be/nl/system/files/article_pdf/BTNG-RBHC%2C%2015%2C%201984%2C%203-4%2C%20pp%20511-539.pdf.
14. Durand, G. (1984). Les structures anthropologiques de l’imaginaire. Paris, Dunod.
15. Espaces Temps. Revue indisciplinaire de sciences sociales. Retrieved from https://www.espacestemps.net.
16. Histoire et sciences sociales. Un tournant critique? Annales ESC, mars-avril 1988, 2, 291–293. Retrieved from https://www.persee.fr/docAsPDF/ahess_0395-2649_1988_num_43_2_283489.pdf.
17. Revel, J. (1979). Histoire et sciences sociales: les paradigmes des Annales. Revue des Annales. Economies, sociétés, civilisations. 34ᵉ année, 6, 1360–1376. Retrieved from https://www.cairn.info/revue-mil-neuf-cent-2007-1-page-101.htm.
18. Rubin, M. Cultural history I: what's in a name? Retrieved from http://www.history.ac.uk/makinghistory/resources/articles/cultural_history.html.
© B. E. Nosenok, 2019