UDC 130.2: 17 (450)
M. M. Rohozha, Doctor of Philosophical Sciences, Professor
Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv,
60, Volodymyrska Street, Kyiv, 01033, Ukraine
VIZUALIZATION OF MORAL CONTENTS IN A FAIRY TALE
Contemporary culture is represented in the paper in the fairy tale optics in its ethical dimensions. Such prospects allow to ascertain ethical values which contemporaneity draws in archaic stratum of culture and generates basing on invariants of past. Using M. M. Bakhtin's ideas of great time of culture and outsideness, the author exposes a fairy tale as a phenomenon that once appeared in archaics but in every further cultural-historic period is able to represent its new facets what are unknown to all previous epochs. A fairy tale acts in therapeutic, orienting and educational functions since the time if its origins. Today a fairy tale has lost archaic horror tinge and obtained some romantic veil and moralistic color. These dimensions are reflected in an image of a hero. The paper points out the distinction between ethical and democratic heroes (the idea of M. E. Meletinsky). It is mentioned that content of an image of a democratic hero is better grasped by the N. Tec's concept a "dormant hero". It is a dormant hero whom contemporary culture comprehends most of all types of a fairy tale heroes. He leaves an impression that everybody can find oneself at his place. His heroic powers are ex- posed gradually. During the storytelling, it is turned out that he possesses definite virtues, personifies moral integrity. It is mentioned in the paper that today there are transformations in the comprehension what qualities are virtues. Qualities necessary for support of ancestors' cult as well as for keeping house were considered as virtues in archaic culture whereas contemporaneity represents in current fairy tale adaptations qualities clear for people today, such as valor, courage, resourcefulness, quick-wittedness. Virtues allow hero to negotiate obstacles, pass tests. Ethical pathos of a fairy tale is accumulated in victorious struggle against evil, for realization of justice, resumption of the lost equity.
Ethical content of a fairy tale are visualized. At the basic level, visualization of good and evil is represented in immediate reality of beauty and ugliness. The second level of ethical content visualization is specified by imagination which allows audience to create images and visualize mean- ings in free flight of fancy. The third level is determined by proper ability of a fairy tale to use symbols. At that level, heroes are represented as symbols-keepers of cultural memory.
Key words: fairy tale, fairy tale hero, virtue, moral integrity, dormant hero, magic forces, justice, visualization of ethical content.
1. Abolina, T. (1981). Formirovanie moral'nogo soznanija lichnosti v sis- teme moral'nogo vospitanija: avtoref. dissertacii na soiskanie uch.stepeni kand. filos. nauk: spec. 09.00.05 "Jetika" [Shaping of moral consciousness of a person in the system of moral education: abstract of PhD (Ethics) dis- sertation]. Kiev, Kiev University.
2. Aristotle. (1983). Ethica Nicomachea. In Aristotle Sochinenija: V 4-h t. T. 4. [Writings in 4 vol. Vol. 4. Ed by A. I. Dovatur], Moscow, Mysl' (In Russian).
3. Bauman, Z. (2010). Modernity and Holocaust. Moscow, Izdatel'stvo "Evropa" (In Russian).
4. Bakhtin, M. M. (1979). Response to a Question from the Novy Mir Editorial Staff. In Bakhtin M. M. Estetics of Creative Discourse. Moscow, Iskusstvo (In Russian).
5. Volkov, A. V. (2015). Misticheskaja Skandinavija [Mystical Scandina- via]. Moscow, Veche.
6. Gusarova, A. D. Fol'klorno-mifologicheskaja jetika "pravil'no- nepravil'no" na materiale russkoj volshebnoj skazki [Folklor and mythologi- cal ethics "right and wrong" basing on Russian fairy tale] (2010. 12. 06) Retrieved from https://www.proza.ru/2010/12/06/1477
7. Guseynov, A. A. (2011). Antichnaja jetika [Ancient ethics]. Izd. 2-oe, ispr. i dop. Moscow, Knizhnyj dom "Librokom".
8. Lotman, Yu. M. (1992). Simvol v sisteme kul'tury [Symbol in the sys- tem of culture]. In Lotman Yu.M. Izbr. stat'i v 3h t. T.1. Stat'i po semiotike i topologii kul'tury [Selected papers in 3 vol. Vol. 1. Papers on semiotics and topology of culture]. Tallinn, Aleksandra.
9. MacIntyre, A. (2001). After Virtue. A Study in Moral Theory. Kyiv, Duh i litera (In Ukrainian).
10. Meletinsky, Ye. M. (2005). Geroj volshebnoj skazki [Hero of a fairy tale]. Moscow – Sankt Petersburg, Akademija Issledovanij Kul'tury, Tradicija.
11. Pavlova, O. Ju., Tormahova, A. M. (2017). Vizual'ni praktyky ta komunikacija: kurs lekcij [Visual practices and communication: lecture course]. Kyiv, Kyiv University Press.
12. Propp, V. Ya. (2000). Istoricheskie korni volshebnoj skazki [Histori- cal roots of a fairy tale]. Moscow, Labirint.
13. Tolkien, J. R. R. (1992). On Fairy Stories. In Tolkien J.R.R. Pri- kljuchenija Toma Bombadila i drugie stihi iz Aloj Knigi: Stihi i povesti [The Adventures of Tom Bombadil and other verses from Red Book of west- march: verses and novels]. Retrieved from: http://fairypot.narod.ru/story/ Tolkien.htm. (In Russian).
14. Franz, Marie-Louise von. (2014). Interpretation of Fairytales. Sankt Petersburg, BSK. Retrieved from https://www.e-reading.club/bookreader.php/ 143440/fon_Franc_-_Psihologiya_skazki._Tolkovanie_volshebnyh_skazok.html (in Russian).
15. Elias, N. (2001). The Civilizing Process. Moscow, Sankt Petersburg, Universitetskaja kniga (in Russian).
© M. M. Rohozha 2019