Y. O. Butsykina, PhD, Assistant Professor,
Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv,
01033, Ukraine, Kyiv, Volodymirska st., 60
VERNACULAR DESIGN AS VISUAL PRACTICE OF URBAN SPACE ORGANIZATION
Article discusses specific status of the vernacular design in the visual style of the modern Ukrainian city, where indigenous dwellers coexist with those who came recently from the country. The vernacular regions in Ukrainian cities are analyzed as complex, eclectic and grass-roots. The vernacular design is understood within the complex cultural environment, where different traditions and cultural identities coexist. The terms "vernacular life", "vernacular landscape" are explicated. The vernacular landscape is interpreted in the context of the everyday human activities brought into the public urban spaces. The crucial characteristic (amateur, brutal, trying to be visible and being invisible, economical, tactical, irrational, anachronistic) and the main principles (constraint, thrift, durability, commonness) of the vernacular design are studied within the interpretive context of urban culture collective identity.
Key words: urban space, vernacular design, vernacular landscape, territorial identification, vernacular region.
1. Gukalova, І. V. (2015). Prostorova іdentichnіst' naselennja u ruslі novih naprjamіv doslіdzhennja u suspіl'nіj geografії [Spatial identity of the population in line with new directions of research in social geography]. Ukraїns'kij geografіchnij zhurnal, 4, 24‒30. Retrieved from http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/UGJ_2015_4_6.
2. Mіroshnichenko, V. (2014). Ocіnka stupenja prestizhnostі vernakuljarnih rajonіv m. Harkova [Assessment of the prestige of the vernuclear districts of Kharkiv].
3. Sarapіna, E. (2013). Vernakuljarnij Kiїv: mіsto mogo ujavnogo [Vernacular Kyiv: the city of my imaginary]. Mіsto j onovlennja. Urbanіstichnі studії. Kyїv, FOP Moskalenko O. M., 51‒62.
4. Asadpour, Ali. (2018). Vernacular Landscape; The Transition of the Past Concepts to the Contemporary Context. The IFLA Middle East Conference (MELAC 2018): Landscape in Transition, At 07‒08 May 2018, Tehran, IRAN. Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/ 325114659_Vernacular_Landscape_The_Transition_of_the_Past_Concepts _to_the_Contemporary_Context.
5. Bjornard, Kristian. (2009). Spectacular Vernacular Principles (and their application today). Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/ publication/299576039_Spectacular_Vernacular_Principles_and_their_appli cation_today.
6. Krase, Jerome; Shortell, Timothy. (2011). On the Spatial Semiotics of Vernacular Landscapes in Global Cities. Visual Communication, 10(3), 367–400.
7. Palmer, Joni M. (2015). Rural Public Arts: Vernacular Materials, Landscape, and Time. Senses and Society, 2, 237‒255. Retrieved from https://www.academia.edu/17376882/Rural_Public_Arts_Vernacular_Materi als_Landscape_and_Time
8. Zielińska, Ewa & Cieślak, Jan. (2016). Approaching vernacular design in a post-socialist city. Drafts from sociology of design. Introduction to discussion. Krakow, AFM Publishing House, 117‒136. Retrieved from https://repozytorium.ka.edu.pl/bitstream/handle/11315/9131/Drafts_From_ Sociology_of_Design_Rojek-Adamek_Gawron_2016.pdf?sequence= 8&isAllowed=y
© Y. O. Butsykina 2020