I. H. Adamska, PhD, Associate Professor
Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv,
60, Volodymyrska Street, Kyiv, 01033, Ukraine
THE IMAGE OF MEDIEVAL UKRAINE'S CULTURE ON THE PAGES OF "CHTENIYA V ISTORICHESKOM OBSHCHESTVE NESTORA-LETOPISTSA"
The Historical Society of Nestor the Chronicler was one of the organizations in the second half of 19th – the first half of 20th century which researched the culture of Ukraine. Members of the society published their studies in various periodicals. Beginning from the year 1888 their annual journal "Chteniya v Istoricheskom obshchestve Nestora Letopistsa" appeared regularly.
The purpose of this article are to identify topics from the cultural history of the 10th -16th century which were of interest for the members of the society, as well as studies published by them on the journal pages. The other purpose is to systematize interpretations of problems of cultural history raised by the members, and to define the role which was given to the medieval culture in the development of this region by the above- mentioned researchers.
It was found, as a result of the study, that beginning from the second half of the 19th century the scholars increasingly turned to the topics predeceasing the Cossack period for emphasising the cultural originality of lands of Southern Ruthenia (Rus'). Researchers turned to the study of monuments of literature to discover local traditions and possible foreign influences. The identified borrowings were often interpreted that they had reflected the existing diversity of the language and culture. Yet there were also some attempts to prove a close connection with the culture of Northern Ruthenia (so called: "Great Russian" culture) on the basis of the established facts. On occasion of the 900th anniversary of the baptism of Ruthenia the researcher intensified their studies on the history of religions. The most attention was paid to the adoption of the Eastern Christianity by Eastern Slavs and the development of Orthodoxy in the area they inhabited. However, researchers were also interested in the history of the Roman Catholic Church, Judaism, Protestantism and their influence on the culture of the region. The members of the society discovered and analysed landmarks from the Middle Ages and from the beginning of Early Modern times. Artworks from this period survived worst of all. The researchers studied sacral buildings, the interior decoration of temples, icons, as well as what were left from the secular architecture, including castles and fortifications. They also tried to identify distinctive elements of artistic development and possible foreign influences. In addition, cultural relations of Ruthenia with other countries were studied. The special attention was paid to the marriage unions, to the connection between economic and cultural interactions and to the religious factor of the relations between various states. The image of the culture of Middle Edges as an important period of Ukraine's cultural history was being created by publishing research results on the pages of the journal.
Key words: Culture of Ukraine, Middle Ages, The Historical Society of Nestor the Chronicler, historiography of the 19th century.
1. Antonovich, V. B. (1888). Neskol'ko dannykh o naselenii Kievskoy zemli v XVI v. [Some data about the population of the Kyiv land in 16th century]. Chteniya v Istoricheskom Obshchestve Nestora-letopistsa (next – ChIONL), 2, 225–227.
2. Bagaliy, D. I. (1888). "Slovo o polku Igoreve", kak literaturnyy pamyatnik Severskoy zemli ["The Tale of Igor's Campaign" as a monument of literature from the Severia]. ChIONL, 2, 160–162.
3. Berezhkov, M.N. (1888). Svyatoy Vladimir – stroitel' gorodov [St. Vladimir is a constructor of cities], ChIONL, 2, 69–91.
4. Vladimirov, P. V. (1890). Obzor yuzhno-russkikh i zapadno-russkikh pamyatnikov pis'mennosti ot XІ do XVІІst. [The review of Southern Ruthenian and Western Ruthenian monuments of literature from the 11th till 17th century]. ChIONIL, 4, 101–103.
5. Voronov, A.D. (1879). O latinskikh propovednikakh na Rusi Kievskoy v X i XІ vekakh [On the Latin preachers at Kievan Rus in 10th and 11th century]. ChIONL, 1, 1–21.
6. Golubovskiy, P. V. (1900). Sluzhba svv. muchenikam Borisu i Glebu v Ivanichskoy minee 1547–1579 gg. [The service for Ss. martyrs Boris and Gleb in the Ivanitsk Menaion]. СhIONL, 14, 125–164.
7. Hryhorieva, T. F. (2007). Komitet iz doslidzhennia starozhytnostei u Kyievi [The Committee for research of antiquities in Kyiv]. In Entsyklopediia istorii Ukrainy, 4: Ka-Kom. Kyiv, Naukova dumka. Retrieved from http://www.history.org.ua/?termin=Komitet_starozhytnosti
8. Gubytskyi, L. V. (2003). Research of the History of Russia in the Historical Society of Nestor-Chronicler. Manuscript. Kyiv.
9. Dashkevich, N. P. (1889). Byliny ob Aleshe Popoviche i o tom, kak perevelis' bogatyri na svyatoy Rusi [The Byliny about Alyosha Popovich and why the bogatyrs vanished in Holy Rus]. ChIONL, 3, 1–62.
10. Dashkevich, N. P. (1899). Istoricheskaya zapiska o vozniknovenii i deyatel'nosti Istoricheskogo obshchestva Nestora-letopistsa po yanvar' 1898 g. [A historical note about the emergence and activity of the Historical Society of Nestor the Chronicler till January 1898]. ChIONL, 13, 17–98.
11. Dashkevich, N.P. (1888). Neskol'ko dannykh iz istorii Kieva, Kievskoy zemli i Kievskikh istoricheskikh pamyatnikov v XIV–XV vv. [Some data from the history of Kiev, Kiev lands and Kiev historical monuments in 14th -15th century]. ChIONL, 2, 223–225.
12. Dashkevich, N. P. (1888). Noveyshie domysly o Bolokhove i Bolokhovtsakh [The latest hypotheses about Bolokhov lands and people]. ChIONL, 2, 238.
13. Dashkevich, N. P. (1888). O nachale snosheniy Danila Galitskogo s Rimom [On the beginning of Daniel of Galicia relationships with Rome]. ChIONL, 2, 180.
14. Dashkevich, N. P. (1907). Opyt ukazaniya paralleley k "Plachu Yaroslavny" [The experience in indication of analogy to the "Cry of Yaroslavna"]. ChIONL, 20, 50–52.
15. Dashkevich, N. P. (1899). Poslednie mneniya o proiskhozhdenii naseleniya i knyazey Bolokhovskoy zemli [The latest views about the origin of population and princes of Bolokhov lands]. ChIONL, 13, 146.
16. Zhytetskyi, I. (1929). Zakhody kolo orhanizatsii istorychnoho tovarystva v Kyivi [Activities on the organizing of the historical society in Kyiv]. Ukraina, 32, 23–30.
17. Zavitnevich, V.Z. (1889). Vozrazhenie na soobshchenie A. I. Sobolevskogo [The remarks on the report of Alexej Sobolevskij]. ChIONL, 3, 5–9.
18. Zavitnevich, V. Z. (1891). Zamok knyazya Semena Olel'kovicha i letopisnyy Gorodets pod Kievom [The castle of the prince Semen Olelkovich and the letopis-mentioned-Gorodets near the Kiev]. ChIONL, 5, 134–141.
19. Zavitnevich, V. Z. (1892). K voprosu ob imeni "Rus'" [To the question of the name of "Rus"]. ChIONL, 6, 18–21.
20. Ikonnikov, V. S. (1892). Opyt russkoy istoriografii [Experience of the Russian historiography]. Kiev.
21. Kazmyrchuk, H. D. & Gubytskyi, L. V. (2001). Doslidzhennia movnoi sytuatsii v Ukraini chlenamy Istorychnoho tovarystva Nestora-litopystsia na mezhi XIX–XX st. [Research on the linguistic situation in Ukraine by the members of the Historical Society of Nestor the Chronicler]. Bulletin of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv. History, 54, 18–23.
22. Kovpanenko, Natalia. (2014). Studies of architectural and art heritage in the activities of the Nestor-the-Chronicler History Society (1900th years). Ukraina XX st.: kultura, ideolohiia, polityka, 19, 257–271.
23. Kolesnik, M.P. (1990). Istoricheskoe obshchestvo Nestora- letopistsa. 1872–1931. (Istoriograficheskiy ocherk) [The Historical Society of Nestor the Chronicler. 1872–1931. Historiography review]. Manuscript. Kyiv.
24. Kolesnyk, M. P. (1995). Istorychne tovarystvo Nestora-litopystsia ta yoho vklad u rozvytok istorychnoi nauky v Ukraini [The Historical Society of Nestor the Chronicler and its contribution to the development of the historical science in Ukraine]. Ukrainskyi istorychnyi zhurnal, 5, 28–37.
25. Kruhlova, L. B. (2011). Opovidni dzherela relihiinoho zmistu na storinkakh naukovoho chasopysu Istorychnoho tovarystva Nestora- litopystsia [The narrative sources with the religious content on pages of the journal of The Historical Society of Nestor the Chronicler]. Ethnic History of European Nations, 34, 128–138. Retrieved from http://ethnic.history.univ.kiev.ua/data/2011/34/articles/18.pdf
26. Kruglova, L. B. (2009). The publication of the history of Ukraine sources in the historical journal "Readings in the Historical Society of Chronicler Nestor" (1879–1914). Manuscript. Kyiv.
27. Kulakovskiy, Yu. A. (1906). Novaya teoriya proiskhozhdeniya "Rusi" [The new theory about the origin of "Rus"]. ChIONL,19,68–69.
28. Lashkarev, P. A. (1879). O drevnikh kievskikh postroykakh [On the ancient Kyiv buildings]. ChIONL, 1, 266–267.
29. Lebedintsev, P. G. (1879). Dmitrievskiy monastyr', ustroennyy v Kieve vel.kn.Izyaslavom Yaroslavichem, ego sud'ba i mestnost' [The Dmitrievsky monastery, which was founded in Kiev by the Grand Prince Iziaslav Yaroslavich, its destiny and place]. ChIONL, 1, 28–36.
30. Lebedintsev, P. G. (1896). K voprosu o kievskom mitropolite XІІ v. Mikhaile [To the question about the Kiev metropolite from 12th c. Mikhail]. ChIONL, 10, 3.
31. Lebedintsev, P. G. (1879). O drevnostyakh Sofiyskogo khrama v Kieve [On the antiquities of the Sofia Church in Kiev]. ChIONL, 1, 274–275.
32. Lebedintsev, P. G. (1897). Primechaniya k "Dogadke" A. S. Pavlova [Remarks to the "Conjecture" of A. S. Pavlov]. ChIONL, 11, 27.
33. Levitskiy, O.I. (1903). Istoriya odnogo drevnego Volynskogo khrama [The history of one ancient church from Volhynia]. ChIONL, 17, 74–77. 34. Levitskiy, O. I. (1891). Lutskaya starina [Lutsk antiquity]. ChIONL, 5, 54–90.
35. Levitskiy, O. I. (1888). Sotsiniane v yuzhnoy Rusi [The Socinian in Southern Rus]. ChIONL, 2, 169.
36. Linnichenko, I. A. (1888). O brakakh russkogo knyazheskogo doma
s pol'skim [On marriages between the Ruthenian and Polish princely families]. ChIONL, 2, 180–181.
37. Linnichenko, I. A. (1888). Ob ekonomicheskikh i kul'turnykh otnosheniyakh Rusi i Pol'shi do poloviny XIV v. [On the economic and cultural relationship of Rus and Poland till the 14th c.]. ChIONL, 2, 214.
38. Linnichenko, I. A. (1888). Yuriy ІІ, posledniy knyaz' Maloy Rusi [Yuri IІ, the last prince of the Little Rus]. ChIONL, 2, 206–207.
39. Loboda, A.M. (1902). Russkie byliny v ikh proshlom i nastoyashchem [The Ruthenian byliny in its past and present]. ChIONL. 16, 30–37.
40. Malyshevskiy, I. I. (1888). O brachnykh soyuzakh drevne-russkikh knyazheskiy familiy s inostrannymi vladel'cheskimi domami s X do poloviny XІІІ v. [On the marriages of Rus princely families and foreign ruling families from 10th till second half of 13th c.]. ChIONL, 2,142.
41. Malyshevskiy, I. I. (1888). Ob otechestve avtora "Slovo o polku Igoreve" [On the motherland of the author of "The Tale of Igor's Campaign"]. ChIONL, 2, 107.
42.Malyshevskiy,I.I.(1891).Otserkviiikonesv.Bogoroditsipod nazvaniem "Pirogoshchi" [On the church and icon of the Mother of God that was named Pyrogoshchi]. ChIONL, 5, 113–133.
43. Malyshevskiy, I. I. (1888). Russkie izvestiya o evreyakh v Kieve i v yuzhnoy Rusi v X–XІІ vv.[The Ruthenian reports about the Jews in Kiev and Southern Rus in 10th–12th century]. ChIONL, 2, 20–24 and 49–53.
44. Medalieva, O. Z. (2005). The role of university historic scientific societies of Ukraine in the Ukrainian national rebirth (the last third of the 19th century – 1917). Manuscript. Cherkasy.
45. Narizhnyi, S. (1975–1976). Istorychne tovarystvo Nestora Litopystsia v Kyievi [The Historical Society of Nestor the Chronicler in Kyiv]. Ukrainskyi istoryk. 1–2, 29–44; 3–4, 43–60; 1–4, 57–70.
46. Naumenko, V.P. (1896). Po povodu stoletiya otkrytiya "Slova o polku Igoreve" [On the 100th anniversary of the finding of "The Tale of Igor's Campaign"]. ChIONL, 10, 45.
47. Naumenko, N. P. (1888). Khronograf yuzhno-russkago izvoda [The chronograph of the Southen Rus]. ChIONL, 2, 230–234.
48. Nestroev, A. I. (1891). Istoricheskoe obshchestvo letopistsa Nestora v Kieve (1873–1890) [The Historical Society of Nestor the Chronicler in Kyiv (1873–1890)]. Istoricheskoe obozrenie, 2, 114–132.
49. Pavlov, A. S. (1897). Dogadka o proiskhozhdenii drevne-russkogo predaniya, kotoroe nazyvaet pervogo ruskogo mitropolita Mikhailom Sirinom [The Conjecture about the origin of the Ruthenian story in which Mikhail Sirin was named as the first Ruthenian metropolite]. ChIONL, 11, 22–27.
50. Pavlutskiy, G. G. (1906). Izobrazhenie khrama v drevneyshikh yuzhno-russkikh miniatyurakh [The image of the church in the oldest Southern-Ruthenian miniatures] ChIONL, 19, 4–5.
51. Setsinskiy, E. І. (1903). Otchet ob osmotre drevnostey v Podol'skoy gubernii letom 1901 g. [The report about the survey of the monuments at Podolian governorate in the Summer of 1901]. ChIONL, 17, 34–49.
52. Sobolevskiy, A. I. (1892). Arkheologicheskie zametki [Archeological notes]ChIONL,6,1–2.
53. Sobolevskiy, A. I. (1889). V kakom godu bylo kreshchenie Rusi? [In what year was the baptism of Rus?]. ChIONL, 3, 4–5.
54. Sobolevskiy, A. I. (1888). God kreshcheniya sv. Vladimira [The year of the baptism of St. Vladimir]. ChIONL, 2, 1–6.
55. Sobolevskiy, A. I. (1897). Dve zamechatel'nye rukopisi XІІІ v. [Two great manuscripts from 13th century]. ChIONL, 12, 3–11.
56. Sobolevskiy, A. I. (1895). Zametki o maloizvestnykh pamyatnikakh yugo-zapadno-russkogo pis'ma XVI–XVII vv. [Notes about the little-known monument of Southern-Western-Ruthenian literature from 16-17th century]. ChIONL, 9, 3–24.
57. Sobolevskiy, A. I. (1888). Kak govorili v Kieve v XIV i XV v. [How people spoke in Kiev in 14-15th century]. ChIONL, 2, 215–223.
58. Stelmakh, S. P. (2005). Naukovi tovarystva: mizh profesionalizatsiieiu i natsionalnoiu istorychnoiu kulturoiu [Scientific societies: between professionalization and national historical culture]. InIstorychna nauka v Ukraini epokhy klasychnoho istoryzmu (XIX – poch. XX st.) [Historical studies in Ukraine during the period of classical historizm (19th – early 20th century)]. Kyiv, VPC „Kyivskyi universytet".
59. Storozhenko, A. V. (1906). O sushchestvovanii v Kieve latinskikh khramov [On Latin churches existing in Kyiv ]. ChIONL, 19, 16.
60. Ternovskiy, F. A. (1879). O letopisi Georgіya Amartola [About George Hamartolos' chronicle]. ChIONL, 1, 267–268.
61. Fedorova, L. D. (2011). Vynyknennia zahalnoukrainskykh hromadskykh form okhorony pamiatok istorii ta kultury [The uprise of the all- Ukrainian social initiatives for the protection of historical and cultural monuments]. Kyivska starovyna, 1, 65–86.
62. Fedorova, L. D. (2007). Kyivske tovarystvo okhorony pamiatnykiv starovyny ta mystetstva [Kyiv society for protection of the ancient monuments and artworks]. Entsyklopediia istorii Ukrainy, 4: Ka-Kom. Kyiv, Naukova dumka. Retrieved from http://www.history.org.ua/ ?termin=Kyivske_tov_tvo_okhorony_pamyatnykiv
63. Fedorova, L.D. (2007). Kyivske tovarystvo starozhytnostei i mystetstv [Kyiv society of ancientness and arts]. Entsyklopediia istorii Ukrainy, 4: Ka-Kom. Kyiv, Naukova dumka. Retrieved from http://www.history.org.ua/?termin=Kyivske_tov_tvo_starozhytnostey
64. Fortinskiy, F. Ya. (1888). Kreshchenie knyazya Vladimira i Rusi po zapadnym izvestiyam [The baptism of the prince Vladimir and Rus according to Western accounts]. ChIONL, 2, 93–128.
65. Khrushchov, I. P. (1979). Skazanie o Vasil'ke Rostislaviche [The story about Vasylko Rostyslavych]. ChIONL, 1, 44–62.
66. Yas, O.V. (2007). Kyivska arkheohrafichna komisiia [Kyiv Archaeography Commission]. Entsyklopediia istorii Ukrainy, 4: Ka-Kom. Kyiv, Naukova dumka. Retrieved from http://www.history.org.ua/?termin= Kyivska_arkh_komisiya
© I. H. Adamska 2020