UDC 821.161.2 : 94(477)
A. I. Kretov, PhD, Senior lecturer
National Academy of Creative Art and Architecture
20, Voznesenskiy uzviz, Kiev, 04053, Ukraine
THE HERITAGE OF TARAS SHEVCHENKO: THE IMAGE OF THE "ARTIST-PROPHET" IN UKRAINIAN CULTURE
The article is devoted to the problem of the image of the artist as a prophet in connection with the work of Taras Shevchenko, due to his extraordinary influence on Ukrainian culture. The formation of this image is the result of the interaction of a number of socio-cultural factors, which are the subject of analysis in this article. First of all, it is the dependence of the Great Kobzar's self-determination on those strategies that depend on poetry and painting, the place of these spheres in contemporary society, their task of integrating creative activity into the social structure and artistic environment, the importance of skill and order. Secondly, the echo in the Shevchenko era of the ideas of the Enlightenment with their universalist claims and the emergence of a phenomenon in the Russian Empire, which was called "intelligentsia", formed against the background of cultural "literary centrism". Third is the influence of romanticism on the artist's idea of leading the process of forming a certain community, which is not associated with social inequality and formal hierarchies in society. Fourth is the dependence of the artist image – the prophet with the intertwining of Christian and pagan roots of Ukrainian culture. It is shown that the archetype of the national artist-prophet created by T. Shevchenko's successors survived situations of imitation, affirmation, rethinking, even denial. Such a diverse dialogue testifies to the urgency of Taras Shevchenko's legacy. The article shows that there is an urgent need to study the figure of Shevchenko in the context of world culture, the functioning of the model "artist – prophet" in general and in their own country. It is also important to give this problem a philosophical depth. It is necessary to comprehend the models through which they tried to attract the figure of Shevchenko to various ideologies, that is, to give it a certain "plane" and "one-dimensionality." And "one-dimensional" Taras Shevchenko is a model that is too easy to manipulate.
Key words: artist as a prophet, poet, painter, community, society, "intelligentsia", literary centrism.
1. Auerbah, E. (1976). Mimesis: The Representation of Reality in Western Literature. Moskow, Progress (In Russian).
2. Antonovich, D. V. (2004). Shevchenko-malyar [Shevchenko as a Painter]. Kyiv, Ukrayina.
3. Barabash, Yu. (2007). Lyudej i Gospoda lyubit (lyubov yak mentalna j poetichna konstanta tvorchosti T. Shevchenka) [Love people and God (love as a mental and poetic constant of T. Shevchenko's creativity)]. Slovo i chas, No 3, 3–18.
4. Biblejskaya enciklopediya [Biblical encyclopedia] (1990). Moskow, Terra.
5. Generalyuk, L. (2008). Universalizm Shevchenka: Vzayemodiya literaturi i mistectva [Shevchenko's Universalism: The Interaction of Literature and Art]. Kyiv, Naukova dumka.
6. Gricak, Ya. (2006). Prorok u svoyij vitchizni. Franko ta jogo spilnota (1856–1886) [A prophet in his homeland. Franco and his community (1856– 1886)]. Kyiv, Kritika.
7. Gricenko, O. (1998). "Svoya mudrist": nacionalni mifologiyi ta "gromadyanska religiya" v Ukrayini ["Our own wisdom": national mythologies and "civil religion" in Ukraine]. Kyiv, UCKD.
8. Demska-Budzulyak, L. (2009). Drama svobodi v modernizmi. Prorochi golosi dramaturgiyi Lesi Ukrayinki [The drama of freedom in modernism. The prophetic voices of Lesya Ukrainka's drama]. Kyiv, Akademvidav.
9. Dzyuba, I. (2004). Bog, religiya, cerkva v zhitti i tvorchosti Shevchenka [God, religion, church in the life and creativity of Shevchenko]. Taras Shevchenko i narodna kultura. Zbirnik prac mizhnarodnoyi (35-yi) naukovoyi Shevchenkivskoyi konferenciyi 20–22 kvitnya. Cherkasi, 150–169.
10. Dzyuba, I. (2006). Shevchenkofobiya v suchasnij Ukrayini [Shevchenkophobia in modern Ukraine]. Kyiv, Vid. dim "Kyivo-Mogilyanska Akademiya".
11. Dragomanov, M. (1991). Shevchenko, ukrayinofili i socializm [Shevchenko, Ukrainophiles and Socialism ]. In Vibrane (...mij zadum zlozhiti ocherk istoriyi civilizaciyi na Ukrayini) [Selected works (...my idea is to compile an essay on the history of civilization in Ukraine)]. Kiyiv, Libid, 327–430.
12. Zhivov, V. M. (1994). Prorok. [The Prophet ]. In Svyatost. Kratkij slovar agiograficheskih terminov. Moskow, Gnozis.
13. Zhuravlev, V.K. (1991). Yazyk. Yazykoznanie. Yazykovedy [Language. Linguistics. Linguists]. Moskow, Nauka.
14. Zabuzhko, O. (1997). Shevchenkiv mif Ukrayini. Sproba filosofskogo analizu [Shevchenko's myth of Ukraine. An attempt at philosophical analysis ]. Kyiv, Abris.
15. Ivanishin, P. (2001). Vulgarnij "neomifologizm": vid interpretaciyi do falsifikaciyi T. Shevchenka [Vulgar "neomythologism": from interpretation to falsification of Taras Shevchenko]. Drogobich, Vidrodzhennya.
16. Kondakov, I. V. (1996). Intelligenciya [Intelligence]. In Kulturologiya. ХХ vek. Enciklopediya. [Culturology of the twentieth century. Encyclopedia]. Sankt-Petersburg, Universitetskaya kniga, Vol. 1.
17. Kostomarov, M. I. (1964). Spogad pro dvoh malyariv [Memoirs of two painters]. Svitova velich Shevchenka. Zbirnik materialiv pro tvorchist T. G. Shevchenka. [World greatness of Shevchenko. Collection of materials about the work of T.G. Shevchenko]. Kyiv, Derzhidav. Vol. 1.
18. Kostomarov, N. I. (1989). Istoricheskie proizvedeniya. Avtobiografiya [Historical works. Autobiography]. Kiev, Izd-vo pri Kiev. un-te. 19. Kretov, A. I. (2002). Taras Shevchenko: poet i prorok. [Taras Shevchenko: poet and prophet ]. Vechnoe slovo. Fond "Dobro". [The Eternal Word. "Good" Foundation]. Moskow, No 4, 5–8.
20. Kubrish, N. (2004). Mifopoetika pam'yatnikiv Tarasovi Shevchenku (Na prikladi tvorchosti Ivana Kavaleridze) [Mythopoetics of monuments to Taras Shevchenko (On the example of the work of Ivan Kavaleridze)]. Mistecki obriyi. Almanah, 107–115.
21. Rossijskij telekanal nazval Tarasa Shevchenko vtorosortnym poetom i prizval ne prazdnovat ego 200-letie. [Russian TV channel called Taras Shevchenko a second-rate poet and urged not to celebrate his 200th anniversary]. Korrespondent.net (March, 13, 2013). Retrieved from http://korrespondent.net/ukraine/1521805-rossijskij-telekanal-nazval-tarasa- shevchenko-vtorosortnym-poetom-i-prizval-ne-prazdnovat-ego-200-let; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tn7l5z-uOQ
22. Storozhenko, M. A. (2011). Mij Shevchenko [My Shevchenko]. Kyiv, Gramota.
23. Tönnies, F. (2005). Сommunity and Civil Society. Kyiv, Duh i litera (In Ukrainian).
24. Fedevich, K. K., Fedevich, K. I. (2017). Za Viru, Carya i Kobzarya. Malorosijski monarhisti i ukrayinskij nacionalnij ruh [For Faith,Tsar and Kobzar. Little Russian monarchists and the Ukrainian national movement]. Kyiv, Kritika.
25. Shevchenko, T. (1961). Kobzar. Kyiv, Derzh. vidav. hud. lit.
© A. I. Kretov 2020